Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WDW - the BEST Christmas cookies!

 Untitled

Yes, that's a pretty bold title.   But I stand by it.

Over the years, I've had several favorite Christmas cookie recipes --frosted sugar cookies, Russian tea cakes, etc. but the perfect ginger cookie was always elusive to me.  Dry, crunchy ginger cookies are just not my thing.  And, I'm a HUGE ginger fan -- I'm even one of those who likes the wicked spicy ginger Altoids. 

At Emma's final bridal shower last week, her maid of honor, Kaitlyn, made these simple but perfect little ginger cookies.  Moist, chewy, decadent, and with an over the top lemon glaze... I fell in love!  As we were packing up, I not-so-discreetly packed myself a sizeable to-go bag of these little gems.  

As my supply was dwindling, I panicked a bit. I began texting Kait every day until she finally gave up the recipe.

Last night, Kait was over and I made up a batch of these.  I even made her do most of the work to ensure they would be as good as hers.  :-)  Man are these good.   You gotta make them.

P.S. the recipe is from Sunset magazine, which always publishes the most amazing cookie recipes!




FROSTED GINGER COOKIES

1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1 egg
3 tablespoons molasses
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

2 cups powdered sugar
lemon juice to desired consistency (about 2 lemons, I 

       like the glaze on the thick side)



1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup granulated sugar with butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and molasses.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and spices. Add to butter mixture and blend well.

3. Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar. Break off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll into balls; roll balls in sugar. Arrange on greased cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks.

4. Meanwhile, make glaze: Combine powdered sugar with lemon juice to desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over cookies.  Let glaze harden before packaging cookies.

Makes about 50-60 cookies.


post signature

1 comment:

Carol Blanchet said...

My FAVORITE cookie is a molasses cookie. These look amazing and I WILL be making these today!! I can't wait to try them.