Monday, February 3, 2014

Empty Nesting Begins...

I never expected to be empty nested so soon or so young!  With one in heaven, and two married, somehow here we are.   Out of the almost 27 years we've been married, we have had children in our home 25 of them. Thus begins a new chapter for us- or back to the honeymoon phase!  :-)  

People ask me how I feel or what it's like.  First of all, it really doesn't seem that different  --  in the last couple years our kids lived with us they were quite busy and not really home that much anyways.  I adjusted to long stretches of time without them, which was a blessing for me as a mother.  I would say it was a slow process, over many years, of letting go.  I will admit there were times of sadness along the way when I anticipated them leaving our home forever. But, since the changes were gradual it didn't really seem abrupt or sad when they actually got married.   We are happy for them and their new lives as married people so that surely helps the process for us.  We love to get together with our kids and plan to do it often. So, it's more of a change, not a loss, in our relationship with them.

So, I guess my answer is, it's kind of nice.  I still have plenty to keep me busy, which I'm thankful for.  I do enjoy having more freedom in my schedule to say yes to different opportunities.  I still want to serve my kids -- it just looks different now.  But the best bonus of all is that I have my hubby all to myself much more! I'm actually feeling excited about what lies ahead.

After the wedding, Rich took the week off and we got away for a few days to celebrate the beginning of this new chapter.  We grabbed a Living Social deal and stayed at an adorable bed and breakfast inn at Cayucos, which is between Pismo and Cambria.  Cayucos is just a quaint little seaside tourist town. There is not much but the beach, a few antique shops and some restaurants (including the amazing, not to be missed Brown Butter Cookie Company.). It was very quiet at this time of year but in the summer it gets busy. 

Everything about our trip was so nice.  The drive up the coast listening to great 70's music, the gorgeous warm weather, the place we stayed, the food, a walk on Moonstone Beach cliff, the McConnell's ice cream on the way home (my fave ice cream on earth) and especially the company.  :-)

Untitled

On the Beach  --The Bed and Breakfast Inn we stayed at.

Untitled

A shot from our beautiful room -- see the ocean?  We had a spacious room that featured a fireplace and a big jacuzzi tub.  I think everything in our room was Tommy Bahama --

 Untitled

I took this shot inside the inn.  I think there were 12 units at the place.  We stayed on the ground floor. Loved the beachy look and feel of the place.

Untitled

Chef Maureen made us feel like a guest in her home.  Everything was from scratch and so good!  Every morning we could even smell breakfast cooking from our room!  And they even gave us appetizers in the afternoons and dessert in the evenings (which we gladly ate).   Great place!

Untitled

The view out our room window

 Untitled

 Cayucos pier

 Untitled

More time with him is definitely a benefit!

 Untitled
 
Untitled

We went to Cambria one of our days.  I may have posted food pictures from this restaurant in Cambria before -- but it's worth a repeat!  We love the Main Street Grill there.
Yummy salad, a beef rib and fries, and the best tri tip sandwich on earth!!

Untitled

Did I mention that this sandwich is the best tri tip I've ever had?  Oops, sorry. I don't know how they make it, but it has an awesome smoky flavor and is super tender.  The bun is made into garlic bread before they slap this baby together which sends it over the top.  I think our conversation at lunch was mostly us repeatedly saying how good it was.  Seriously! You gotta go!!


post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have many wonderful memories of some of our favorite quick getaways at the same places! Cambria was just a small unknown town it seemed back then, Main Street Grill was a little shack, and of course beach combing on Moonstone Beach always a highlight! So glad you got away for a little trip with your honey! LB

The Mom said...

I just wanted you to know I loved reading this post, and when I read some of it to Mark he said Rich is his hero! :)